Monday, May 9, 2011

Writing Every Day: The Key To Success

There is something I've heard from just about every person who's ever spoken on the subject of writing. In order to become good at it, you must read a lot and write a lot.
I'll admit that when it comes to reading a lot I have no problem. Reading has always been one of my favorite pastimes. I'll read almost anything. If I'm sitting at McDonald's, eating, my eyes will instinctively wander and read anything from the place mat to the Spanish/English signs scattered throughout the establishment. It may be boring, but my brain is just geared that way.(Usually I bring my nook and avoid reading the signs, however)
Writing is another matter altogether. In the past I've written in bursts, throwing down up to 12,000 words in a day, but then going days or dare I say it, weeks without writing. That all has changed recently however. About a month ago I made a commitment to write every day, no matter what. The amount of work I've been able to get done is amazing. And, wouldn't you know? Writer's block is not as much of a problem. See, when I go without writing for even a day I find that returning to the task is just a little more daunting than it otherwise would have been. I don't remember exactly where I was in the project I was writing, I don't feel motivated. You know. Excuses. But excuses can sometimes be enough to derail the writing train.
So now, I write everyday. About something. It doesn't matter what. If I feel writer's block for the project I'm working on, then I'll just bang away at something else, even if it makes no sense, until I feel like returning to my work-in-progress. And truthfully, having made the commitment, and putting forth the effort, it doesn't take too long for the muse to come out and start whispering. Or maybe that's one of the voices I hear in my head. (Either way, it has great ideas)
So what works for you? What is the key to keeping the literary home fires burning while you're away doing the things that life requires from all of us. (ie, job, school, family, etc....) Many of us have a limited amount of time that we can dedicate to writing. How do we make the most of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment