Sunday, March 20, 2011

Some Good News, Some Bad News

Ok, first the good news. I just found out that I am going to be a dad again. I can't even begin describe how excited I am about this announcement. This will be child number two and I couldn't be happier.
Lucky for me, the good news far outweighs the bad. I got an email from the editors of the Monsters and Mormons project telling me that they decided not to take my story that I submitted to them. Oh well. Worse things have happened, I think I'm going to be ok here. On the bright side, they did send me an email and included specifics as to why they opted not to publish my piece, and that was very helpful. So, not all bad.
I'm still working on the second draft of Dead in the Water. It's coming along well, and I think that I've got the problems I was having with the ending just about fixed. More to come on this project as I complete it.
As for what I'm reading and watching, here goes: I am about halfway through Monster Hunter International. I'm surprised about how much I'm enjoying this book. It's basically what the title says, it's about a bunch people who train an insane amount with an insane arsenal of weaponry, all in order to go hunting monsters for an insane amount of money.
To be honest, I haven't had as much fun reading a book like this except for the Dresden Files. It's not really on the same level, at least not from a literary standpoint, but then, that's not really the point. What it is is a good, entertaining read that will be good for anyone who enjoys B-horror films like I do.
I'm cruising through the seasons of Dexter, entering season three tonight. Good show, overall, but the mature content almost kills it and in some episodes, does. No, believe it or not, I'm not referring to violence and gore, despite the show being about a serial killer who kills killers. No, the mature content I'm referring to is the bizarre sexual content that the show flaunts unnecessarily. The overall story is good, but if anything it has made me realize what a great job Dan Wells did with his John Cleaver series. In it he tackled essentially the same topics, and put them together in a way that creeps you out way more than Dexter does, while at the same time steering clear of the more mature content.
I'm also looking forward to reading Brandon Mull's new book, Beyonders: A World Without Heroes. Fablehaven was such a good series that I have high hopes for this one.
Well, that's all for now. Time to get back to work on the book.

4 comments:

  1. What was your story about? Something you'll polish and send out again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps. It's a Porter Rockwell vs Faeries horror. I liked it, but I can see why they didn't accept it. I would like to rework it and maybe find a market for it eventually, though I have no idea where.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Trep,
    Hope things are well with you. Wanted to stop by your blog today and let you know that we finally posted our contest. It's the "Pitch it to us" contest on inkingcap.blogspot.com. Check it out. Hope to see you at Storymakers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    Since I've just found your blog and since this is what's on top, I thought I would tell you that you were very close to be accepted. I hope that makes it better rather than worse....

    ReplyDelete