Monday, August 5, 2013

42

Those of you who know me knew I would eventually get to this one.

I love baseball. I know, there are a great many of my friends that have told me that watching baseball is akin to watching paint dry in slow motion while waiting for buffering to catch up to a youtube video. But I love this game. There is something magical about the green of the outfield, the course dirt of the infield, the pacing, the excitement, and yes, the heroics.

Jackie Robinson is one such hero. Not only was he a great athlete. Not only did he do incredible things with his talent, not the least of which was his lightning-speed. But he did them while facing a storm of racial prejudice and unfair slights and insults.

42 is the story of Jackie Robinson as he battled uphill against the odds with the help of Branch Rickey, played by Harrison Ford, to break the color barrier in major league baseball.


Overall I was blown away by this movie. Great story, artistic cinematography capturing the action of baseball, and great acting. This flic has it all.

There's really not much more I can say other than this is an extremely enjoyable film, even if you are not a baseball fan. Harrison Ford does a fantastic job as Branch Rickey in a performance worthy of an Academy Award. All of the actors do a great job and it is just a fun movie. 4 stars.

2 comments:

  1. .

    If you want some rhetoric for those people who don't appreciate baseball, I have a couple recommendations.

    1
    2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great, I'll have to check those out. I've heard the first one was really good.

      Delete